Self-Improvement Month: What activities are beneficial for self-improvement in seniors?
Self-Improvement Month is observed during the month of September. It is the process of bettering yourself in a particular area or area in your life. This process could involve making physical changes, mental changes such as career changes, or becoming healthier emotionally, spiritually, and/or financially. It is common for elderly adults to develop a routine that eventually dulls their spirit and negativity impact their physical and mental health.
There are many things you can do to help boost your health, such as participating in social and other activities you enjoy can also help support healthy aging. An active lifestyle is more than just getting your daily steps in, but it includes doing activities that are meaningful to you and benefit your mind, spirit, and body. Below is a list of stimulating activities, you can incorporate into your day-to-day life to improve yourself this month:
- Begin by writing down five things you are grateful for.
- Start your morning off on a positive note by writing down three things you are thankful for. It could be as simple as having a cool glass of water to enjoy or as elaborate as a vacation you are eagerly anticipating. Expressing gratitude in the morning can quickly shift one’s outlook from negative to positive.
- Stay active
- When you’re increasing your activity level can improve your self-esteem in several ways. Exercise is one of the best ways to alleviate stress and anxiety. Exercising helps you feel good about your physical health and appearance too, and it can make you feel more independent. Whether you enjoy swimming, walking, jogging, dancing, yoga, or even gardening, physical activity can help reduce anxiety and depression.
- Engage in memory and mental activities
- Keeping your brain sharp is just as important as keeping your body in good shape. Seniors can choose from a wide range of programs designed to do just that. Some suggestions include crafts, art, music, trivia, games, and reading.
- Learn a new skill
- It is very beneficial to continue challenging yourself to learn new things or try new things. Lifelong learning is crucial to feeling energized and interested in life. Learning a new skill may also reduce a senior’s risk of dementia by strengthening connections between different parts of the brain.
- Playing board and card games
- Both board and card games require mental alertness, but actions such as rolling dice or picking up cards from a pile also provide physical stimulation. Board and card games can also encourage social interactions with family members and friends.
Everyone knows that self-improvement is important, and every bit of activity helps when it comes to healthy aging and self-improvement. It’s important to find an activity that piques your or your loved one’s interest and staying safe all contribute to everyone’s ability to enjoy life in their senior years. At LifeWorx, our caregivers recognize that the benefits of staying active, connected, and engaged will last far into the future for our clients. Contact us today to learn more about how our caregivers can help with boosting self-improvement.
How can LifeWorx help me?
Our services range from Long-term care to Companion care, Personal Care and beyond. We also specialize in Alzheimer’s/dementia, Ambulatory care & Private-duty nurse.
LifeWorx provides only dedicated career nannies who are professionals in their field. They have at least three years of full-time experience working in local homes and are all fluent in English. They are safe and responsible drivers with their own reliable vehicle.
Our housekeepers are experienced and trained professionals, all having at least three years of full-time experience. They are all experienced in deep and detailed cleaning to leave your home sparkling.
Our Сhefs will prepare a delicious dinner for your family while you are busy, and Personal Assistants will help you to quickly solve the accumulated issues. Our experienced Estate Managers will help you carry out the necessary real estate transactions on time. You will be more successful with us!