MedicAlert Awareness Month: Does Your Aging Loved One Need a Medical Alert System?
August is MedicAlert Awareness month, and it is a good time to understand why MedicAlerts are important for loved ones with serious medical conditions. Medical Alert IDs and alert systems are wearable devices that help reduce treatment errors and speak for someone if they are unresponsive in an emergency.
Medical Alert ID’s are commonly worn by elderly or disabled individuals so help is literally at their fingertips should they fall or experience a life-threatening emergency. They are a wearable device that can be watches, necklaces, bracelets, or even keychains worn on the belt loop, shoes, or carried in a bag. The purpose is to have the device within easy reach should help be needed. Today we will share with you who needs a medical alert system and why your loved one needs a medical alert system.
People of all ages rely on these systems for their safety by seeking help when it’s necessary. Medical alert systems can benefit a wide variety of people, including those that:
- People at risk of falling
- Falling is a big health risk that the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Older adults must learn the facts about this easily avoided health hazard that causes serious head injuries, broken bones, and hip fractures. Anyone at risk of falling can benefit from a medical alert system to receive help faster if a fall occurs.
- People who live alone
- Older people who choose to age in place may benefit from the emotional comforts at home – but they may be at higher risk for falling or injuring themselves with no help available. Living alone can mean that if you experience an accident, medical emergency, or break-in, you are on your own to navigate the crisis. If you’re living life on the go or do not have a mobile phone, a Medical Alert has a mobile system that works the same way outside of the home.
- People with life-threatening conditions
- Regardless of your age, if you have a severe medical condition or a physical disability that limits your ability to move around, you might want to consider a medical alert system. With Medical Alert systems, help is literally at your fingertips.
- People who want to give their loved one’s peace of mind
- If your loved one lives alone or far away from you and has a health condition, the chances are good that you worry about them. Investing in a medical alert system gives the ultimate peace of mind. If your loved one knows they have access to every kind of emergency assistance available with just the push of a button they will be able to breathe with a sigh of relief.
- People who live with a difficult-to-manage diseases like epilepsy and diabetes.
- People who are recovering from surgery or other medical procedures.
- People who have poor hearing or eyesight.
- People who have declined cognitive function like those with Alzheimer’s and other forms of dementia.
For seniors or a loved one who wishes to live independently and safely age in place for as long as possible, a medical alert system is a great investment in your home. They ensure that you won’t ever be abandoned or left alone if they injure themselves. If you still aren’t sure if your loved one needs medical identification, you can contact a care manager at LifeWorx and discuss your concerns.
How can LifeWorx help me?
Our services range from Long-term care to Companion care, Personal Care and beyond. We also specialize in Alzheimer’s/dementia, Ambulatory care & Private-duty nurse.
LifeWorx provides only dedicated career nannies who are professionals in their field. They have at least three years of full-time experience working in local homes and are all fluent in English. They are safe and responsible drivers with their own reliable vehicle.
Our housekeepers are experienced and trained professionals, all having at least three years of full-time experience. They are all experienced in deep and detailed cleaning to leave your home sparkling.
Our Сhefs will prepare a delicious dinner for your family while you are busy, and Personal Assistants will help you to quickly solve the accumulated issues. Our experienced Estate Managers will help you carry out the necessary real estate transactions on time. You will be more successful with us!