When a child falls, it generally isn’t serious. After a quick hug and reassurance that they’re ok, they’re back on their way. But at the other end of the life spectrum, a fall is no laughing matter. For some elderly people, it can mark the beginning of the deterioration of their overall health. They are more likely to break a bone at that age, further limiting their mobility. This makes most biological functions worse, creating problems ranging from muscle strain to organ decline.
It can be hard to prevent falls for an elderly person. Many don’t consider the consequences of one and are leery of the stigma attached to an ambulatory aid like a cane or a walker. They also aren’t keen on a caregiver holding their hand, so they insist they’re able to manage on their own. After all, they’ve walked for more than 70 years without an incident! For many families, the first response is to try to care for elderly parents themselves, but a knowledgeable ambulatory care practice is often instrumental in getting them the outpatient care they need. Believe us–it’s not easy to convince an elder to use support systems, but it is essential for their continued good health.
So how do you get your loved one to accept walking assistance? With humor and gentle persuasion. And it’s often best to do it with someone else. Many family members have tried to help their elderly parents and ended up hurting their own backs, or worse–falling with them. Instead, seeking ambulatory care or visiting a knowledgeable ambulatory care center is instrumental. Assistive technology also helps. Devices like gait belts, which help transfer a person from a bed or other furniture, and a Hoyer lift, another patient lift mechanism, help seniors with serious muscle weakness. For optimum safety, we sometimes recommend a strong male outpatient services caregiver to assist heavier clients. Wheelchairs, walkers, canes, or other assistive devices should also be seriously considered, depending on your loved one’s needs and situation.
If you are concerned about an elder’s fall risk, we at LifeWorx are here to help. Our ambulatory care service has care providers and nurses who can perform a full assessment based on your senior’s walking and the Morse Fall Scale. Together, this gauges the likelihood of a patient falling in an outpatient setting. After the risk assessment is complete, a proper assistive device can be selected for safe, fall-free mobility.
About 13% of Midtown Manhattan residents are 65 and older.LEARN MORE
For some elderly people, a fall can mark the beginning of the deterioration of their overall health.LEARN MORE
Many families try to care for elderly parents themselves, but a knowledgeable ambulatory care practice is instrumental in getting them the outpatient care they need.Watch now
If you are concerned about an elder’s fall risk, we at LifeWorx are here to help. Our ambulatory care service has care providers and nurses who can perform a full assessment based on your senior’s walking and the Morse Fall Scale.LEARN MORE
Midtown Manhattan in New York City is home to some of the city’s most iconic attractions, including the Empire State Building, Rockefeller Center, Broadway and Times Square. About 13% of Midtown residents are 65 and older. For many families, the first response is to try to care for elderly parents themselves, but a knowledgeable ambulatory care practice is often instrumental in getting them the outpatient care they need. Our ambulatory service is here to help!
1) Sutton Place Park – Featuring multiple benches to take in the New York City Riverfront Beauty, this promenade features winding paths aligning New York’s Hudson River.
2) Roosevelt Island Tramway – While visiting your loved one, don’t forget to check out The Roosevelt Island Tramway, the most unique and scenic way to travel in New York City.
3) MoMa – It truly does not get anymore iconic than The Museum of Modern Art. With works by Van Gogh, Rothko, Warhol, and others, you and your loved ones will enjoy exploring all that this institution has to offer, no matter your passion for art.
4) Japan Society – Perhaps your art style focuses more on Asian Culture, then don’t forget to check out this cultural exploration, which is home to art exhibitions, dance, theater, film, and even sake tastings.
5) Luxury Shopping – The iconic flagship Bloomingdales, located on 59th street is legendary not only for is apparel, makeup, and accessories, but its famous Magnolia Bakery, a staple of New York sweets. While on the list, we can’t forget about Saks Fifth Ave, also carrying luxury apparel, shoes, and home goods.
6) Check out the Local Bookstore – For our bibliophiles, you can’t forget Argosy Book Store, a historical six-story bookstore founded in 1925.
7) Wine and Dine – Both Mr. Chow and Smith and Wollensky’s have been staples of the Sutton Place Culinary world since the 1970’s.
8) Sutton East Tennis Club – If your family prefers to hit the courts, this tennis club is a sporty sanctuary in the heart of New York City. During the US Open, you can even find some of the greats practicing their craft.
9) Explore the Beauty of New York’s Religious Landmarks – No matter where you come from, it’s difficult to denounce the beauty that is in this decorate neo-gothic Catholic cathedral of St. Patrick’s Cathedral or to dismiss the 1870 Moorish Revival Style of Central Synagogue. They are truly preserved Landmarks of New York City.
10) Tour the United Nations – While not technically in New York City, this international territory is the organization seeking to maintain peace and cooperation among our fellow nations. Sign up for a guided tour to visit the newly renovated General Assembly Hall, the Security Council Chamber, and The Trusteeship Council Chamber. Tours are even offered in six different languages, so it truly is an experience for any family, no matter where you hail from.
500kcustomers served (and counting)
We welcome you to visit our Midtown LifeWorx location for an in-person consultation. Success for us is finding the perfect local match for your family while maintaining clear and consistent communication.Contact Us Today!