When a child falls, it generally isn’t serious. After a quick hug and reassurance that they’re ok, they’re back on their way. But at the other end of the life spectrum, a fall is no laughing matter. For some elderly people, it can mark the beginning of the deterioration of their overall health. They are more likely to break a bone at that age, further limiting their mobility. This makes most biological functions worse, creating problems ranging from muscle strain to organ decline.
It can be hard to prevent falls for an elderly person. Many don’t consider the consequences of one and are leery of the stigma attached to an ambulatory aid like a cane or a walker. They also aren’t keen on a caregiver holding their hand, so they insist they’re able to manage on their own. After all, they’ve walked for more than 70 years without an incident! For many families, the first response is to try to care for elderly parents themselves, but a knowledgeable ambulatory care practice is often instrumental in getting them the outpatient care they need. Believe us–it’s not easy to convince an elder to use support systems, but it is essential for their continued good health.
So how do you get your loved one to accept walking assistance? With humor and gentle persuasion. And it’s often best to do it with someone else. Many family members have tried to help their elderly parents and ended up hurting their own backs, or worse–falling with them. Instead, seeking ambulatory care or visiting a knowledgeable ambulatory care center is instrumental. Assistive technology also helps. Devices like gait belts, which help transfer a person from a bed or other furniture, and a Hoyer lift, another patient lift mechanism, help seniors with serious muscle weakness. For optimum safety, we sometimes recommend a strong male outpatient services caregiver to assist heavier clients. Wheelchairs, walkers, canes, or other assistive devices should also be seriously considered, depending on your loved one’s needs and situation.
If you are concerned about an elder’s fall risk, we at LifeWorx are here to help. Our ambulatory care service has care providers and nurses who can perform a full assessment based on your senior’s walking and the Morse Fall Scale. Together, this gauges the likelihood of a patient falling in an outpatient setting. After the risk assessment is complete, a proper assistive device can be selected for safe, fall-free mobility.
Our Sarasota office is well equipped to serve the area’s elderly and their families, making sure seniors get the care they deserve.LEARN MORE
For some elderly people, a fall can mark the beginning of the deterioration of their overall health.LEARN MORE
Many families try to care for elderly parents themselves, but a knowledgeable ambulatory care practice is instrumental in getting them the outpatient care they need.Watch now
If you are concerned about an elder’s fall risk, we at LifeWorx are here to help. Our ambulatory care service has care providers and nurses who can perform a full assessment based on your senior’s walking and the Morse Fall Scale.LEARN MORE
Longboat Key is a town in Manatee and Sarasota counties along the central west coast of Florida. Gorgeous Longboat Key offers waterfront golf, fine dining, and luxury resorts. It’s 12 miles of white and pristine sand beaches which has made this a luxury Gulf Coast resort community. Families and visitors can enjoy the many water sport activities from fishing, boating, and kayaking to plucking perfect seashells along the shoreline. Longboat Key bring an elegant and scenic environment that offers the rare combination of breathtaking beaches and cultural activities – all within a desirable, relaxed, and elegant lifestyle.
Close to the lively restaurants and shopping at Saint Armand’s Circle, we are right in the heart of beautiful Sarasota. We are within walking distance of the marina and just a short drive from the scenic views at Lido Key Beach. Our bright and spacious new office is conveniently located in downtown Sarasota at 1425 Main Street. Come say hello!
While all of our offices work together as a team, it’s best to call the location closest to where care is needed. Its care coordinators and office staff are familiar with the available pool of local caregivers, and can provide the most fitting candidates for you.
1) Lido Key / St. Armand’s Circle – Lido Key’s beach is one of Sarasota’s most interesting waterfront locations and St. Armand’s Circle is a hub of excellent shopping and dining. Lido Key’s pristine white sands and warm breezes offer the perfect escape from the hustle and bustle of everyday life. Meanwhile, St. Armands Circle is filled with an exceptional array of shops, restaurants, salons, and spas in an atmosphere of elegance.
2) Sarasota Art Museum – Surrounded by the Ringling College Museum campus, the Sarasota Art Museum has over 10,000 square feet of dedicated exhibition gallery space, an auditorium for educational events, performances, and film, and extensive grounds and facilities where one can engage with site-specific and lively art experiences.
3) Play a round of oceanfront golf at Longboat Key Golf Club – The Longboat Key Golf Club is a charming and romantic golf club on Longboat Key. Rated among the country’s finest golf courses, the club lies in a secluded area on a barrier island of the Gulf of Mexico.
4) Stroll along the scenic boardwalks of Joan M. Durante Community Park – Joan M. Durante is a community park found in Longboat Key, Florida. The park is expansive and has beautiful boardwalks, trails, lawns, and vegetation. At this community park, you can enjoy the wildlife in its natural habitat, water fountain flowing with tranquil waters, and a lovely playground where children can play.
5) Kayak at the Bayfront Park – Bayfront Park is a public recreation area where you can have the opportunity to experience the tremendous thrill in the form of water games and activities awaits you if you like them. An enclosed playground, a dog park, fishing pier, and kayak launch are all available on the property.
500kcustomers served (and counting)
We welcome you to visit our Sarasota Ambulatory Care LifeWorx location for an in-person consultation. Success for us is finding the perfect local match for your family while maintaining clear and consistent communication.Contact Us Today!